One of the most common questions our homeowners ask is “Should I replace my siding first or my windows and doors?” To be 100% honest, the best way to go with exterior home remodeling is option C: replacing all three all at one time.
Here are the top six reasons why:
- Less Expensive: Contractors will provide discounts when large projects are bulked together! It is less expensive for a team of contractors to work on a door, window and siding job at one location rather than three separate locations.
- Get the Look You Want: Everything you will love or hate about your house is in the details. In doing all these projects together, you can coordinate the style, color, and trim to get exactly what you want. We even have 3D model software to help you see the vision of what your entire exterior project will look like when completed. When you do these projects in several stages, the flaws and outdated components are exaggerated in a bad way.
- Get the Protection You Need: Water damage in walls and windows/ doors can occur at any time and is very expensive. Drafty, airy windows and doors leads to uncomfortable cold winters and hot summers. What we focus on at PBS is an entire exterior solution. James Hardie Siding, flashings, ice & water shield, house wraps, windows, and doors all work together to keep all your heat in and the elements out. For New England homeowners, it is particularly important to protect against water penetration and air infiltration.
- Prevent Mold and Mildew in Your Walls: The safety of our homeowners and their loved ones is crucial. While structural issues is a common concern for homeowners, there are several threats that are not as easily seen and can be unsafe for you, your family, pets, and future buyers of your home. The best way to seal your home completely from these threats is to install the windows, doors, and siding all at the same time.
- Insulate your Home: There will never be a better or less expensive time than to add insulation to your home than when all of your walls are open during a siding, window, and door install. With this multi-project install, you are ensuring the most effective way to properly insulate your entire home and keeping your home cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and quieter all year round. Talk about using less energy and saving more money all year round.
- Lower your maintenance costs: The most convenient and cost-effective way for your exterior home remodeling projects to be done is to use one contractor for everything. Usually, if a contractor using one product with high warranties and low maintenance qualities, the other products that install are of equal value. You are able to also apply for the permit at the same time and save money on details such as drive time, dumpster, port-o-potty, and delivery costs. In using one contractor, you have one point of contact and never have questions about who is responsible for any issues that could pop up.
We understand the initial hesitancy of taking on such a big project and making decisions. However, it always ends up being the easier and most cost-effective route to do windows, doors, and siding at the same time. In the long run, homeowners are always happy they combined these projects into one process that saved dollars and headaches down the road.
For more information and help in finding a solution for your exterior home remodeling needs, give us a call!