FAQ General

What is your service area?

We service a 60 mile radius from Salem NH which includes: Southern NH (Windham, Hampton Falls, Stratham, Salem, Hollis, North Hampton, Nashua, Portsmouth, Greenland, Kingston, Rye, Brookline, Amherst, Lake Winnipesaukee, Pelham, Bedford, Manchester, Candia, Londonderry, Plaistow), Northern MA (Andover, North Andover, Boxford, Westford, Bedford, Newburyport, Peabody, Chelmsford, Woburn, Lynnfield, Wakefield) and southern ME (Kittery, York, Elliott, Wells, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Sanford, South Berwick).

Are you Insured?

Yes, we carry general liability (GL) insurance, workers compensation (workers comp) insurance and commercial auto.

Do you carry GL (General Liability) insurance ?

Yes. Insurance certificates provided upon request.

Do you carry WC (Workers Compensation) insurance ?

Yes. Insurance certificates provided upon request.

Do you work on the seacoast?

Not only do we work on the seacoast but we specialize in coastal projects. Born and raised New Englanders, we know how to build, repair, remodel for our harshest environments. Where exactly – From Kennebunkport, Kittery, Portsmouth, Rye, Rye Beach, Hampton, Seabrook, Salisbury to Cape Ann and Gloucester.

How long does it take to get an estimate?

Our goal is to be on-site for a consult either the same day or within 48 hours pending geographic location. Written estimates are provided for all work.

Who will be coming out to give the estimate?

One of our qualified sales representatives or the owner.

How long is an estimate good for?

Generally we hold prices for 30 days. When the markets are volatile, sometimes we can only hold prices for a week.

Do you offer financing?

We do offer financing – we partner with Synchrony Financial. Click here for information

Can I get a drawing of the project?

Yes, 2D and/or 3D drawings provided upon request as part of our design services.

What are your credentials?

Unrestricted Construction Supervisors License (MA)

  • Home Improvement Contractor(MA)
  • Federal and State EPA RRP license
  • Installation Masters USA Certified
  • Better Business Bureau (BBB) A+ rated
  • Highest rated Trex ProPlatinum decking installer & designer.

Highest rated James Hardie Preferred Remodeler.

How do you handle the dirty work ?

We aim to leave the job site cleaner than when we arrived. Of course, what we do can be dirty. We tarp our work area, broom sweep and magnetic broom sweep the work area to get any possible debris. We also provide porta potties where applicable.

How do you handle over runs ?

With any remodeling project, you can’t see everything until exposed. We over-communicate every exception we see and involve you in the process and solution. Any changes are discussed prior and agreed upon by you prior to us taking any action.

Do you use sub-contractors?

Sometimes we do but almost all of our subcontractors have been part of our company for many many years.

Do you have pictures of previous jobs?

Yes, you can view our Photo Galleries by selecting the tab at the top of this page.

Will you bring samples to an appointment?

Yes, we bring samples as well an iPad to show additional projects.

Can I pull a building permit myself?

How far do you travel for jobs?

We service all Massachusetts (MA), all New Hampshire (NH), southern Maine (ME) and northern Rhode Island (RI)

What about payment ?

We will work with you to meet your specific needs and also offer financing. Some states do not allow a contractor to get paid a deposit of more than 1/3 of the contract price unless it’s a special order item. Generally, special order items are required to be paid in full when ordering which is what our distributors make us do.

What about contracts and orders ?

There are certain criteria in a contract required by some states between homeowners and contractors to pull a permit. Our contracts fulfill all the requirements.

What about lead paint ?

Any home constructed prior to 1978 falls under the federal RRP rule. It is enforced at the federal level. Massachusetts enforces it at the state level as well. We are licensed to comply with all federal and state requirements.

Are you licensed?

Yes, we licensed to build everything we list in our services list.

How much should I plan for over runs?

On new construction projects, 10% is a good number. On remodeling projects 10% – 15% is best. If you don’t need it, all the better.

What questions should I ask a potential contractor ?

Great question – best summary is provided by NARI. Click here

Does every remodeling job need a permit?

Building codes have been established by most cities, towns and countries. They vary considerably from one jurisdiction to another. A building permit generally is required whenever structural work is involved or when the basic living area of the home is to be changed. A professional who works in your city or town every day will know the local requirements.

What is difference between big box stores and remodelers?

Quite a bit! Basically you get what you pay for. Most times same brand name products are a lower quality even though they have the same brand name at big box stores. Every situation is different, so it’s important to carefully compare estimates from each of these types of companies.

Why is it when I get three different estimates that the prices are so different?

Many factors go into pricing a remodeling job. The most obvious is making sure all estimates have the same materials and scope of work. If you cannot understand all the information, go back and ask the contractor for clarification. If you cannot get satisfactory written results, eliminate that contractor from future bidding. Quality of work is hard to show in a written estimate and is also a factor in costs. This part of the cost difference is usually only confirmed by calling references and/or visiting jobs the contractor has completed. Check references for work completed years ago to see how their works stands up to the test of time. When a contractor carries all the proper and required licenses and insurances, his prices will be higher than a “Chuck in a Truck” or “fly by night” contractor.

Do you need insurance to pull a permit ?

Some states requires workers compensation insurance to be provided before a permit is issued.

What if I need to get in touch with you while my project is in progress (or after hours) ?

We give you our cell phone numbers.

Are liens out on my property while work is in progress ?

Not for residential projects but in some commercial projects, we are required to.

Request Your Free Consultation

We can’t wait to hear from you. Contact PBS Today!

Contact Us Today!