It seems that every time you turn around you hear a new story about someone getting ripped off by an inexperienced or stealing contractor. The hiring process of a contractor can be stressful because you want to hire the right person for the job. To make it a little easier for you, keep an eye out for some of these warning signs. Trusting a contractor should start from the first time you talk with them through the whole entire job.
1. Bad Vibes: You want to trust a contractor from start to finish. If you don’t feel comfortable off the bat talking with this person then you probably wouldn’t want them working on your home.
2. No Portfolio of work: Ask your contractor for a portfolio of some of their latest work. Everyone needs to start somewhere but your contractor should have some level of work history that they can show you. A more experienced and trusted contractor will have a more extensive portfolio and that’s something that is good to see.
3. Improper License, Registration or Insurance: A reputable contractor will have the proper documentation in their respective area.
4. Contractor isn’t skilled in your specific project: It’s important to hire a contractor that has experience in your specific type of work. If they are great a bathroom remodeling and have beautiful work that doesn’t meant they can do exterior siding.
5. Always late & can’t keep appointments: Running late or changing an appointment is natural and sometimes unavoidable. But, if the person you are trying to hire continues to show this type of behavior before even starting with you then once the project starts, it’ll only get worse.
6. Odd Payment Requirements: If your contractor asks for a majority of the payment up front or in cash then this should be a cause for concern for you. Trust your instincts!
7. Pressure to make immediate decision: Your contractor should not be forcing you to make a decision right away. Contractors should know they need some time and high pressure tactics should be a cause for concern.
8. Unprofessional: If someone is going to be working on your home, you want them to be a professional. From their appearance to what they need to do for a specific job.
Professional Building Services is a family owned and operated company since 2003. For more information about what sets us apart, please feel free to reach out. We can be contacted over the phone at 603-898-2977 or through our online contact form.