It is a fact that those factors that make siding so crucial are the same ones that undermine its performance long term. In other words, in defending your home against the bitter cold, hot sun, harsh wind, and precipitation, siding eventually falls victim to the very threats it’s meant to repel. Even when siding has been properly maintained, there comes a time when repairing or repainting just won’t cut it. How can you know when your siding is at the end of its life?
Look at these factors:
1. Rot Taking Over: Great siding is designed to protect your family comfortable and safe. If your siding has begun to rot or crumble, then it is unable to perform its vital role. If the rot has spread across the entire exterior, then there is nothing you can do but do a full replacement. The major problem is rot happens from the inside out, so you may not be able to accurately detect just how bad the rot truly is until the siding is demoed. A rot resistant material like James Hardie Siding & Trim is what PBS specializes in and has found its great non-prorated warranty to give our homeowners great peace-of-mind.
2. Cracks & Gaps: Holes and cracks are unsightly; but they are also jeopardizing the appearance and structural integrity of your home. Gaps in exterior cladding admit moisture aka the enemy of wood. Wherever water gains access to the home, so can insects and critters. While some pests are relatively benign, others are potentially devastating (for example termites).
3. Maintenance Overload: If you no longer have the time or energy to maintain your exterior siding, it’s only a matter of time before your shift in priorities take a toll. Before that happens, it is best to find a low maintenance solution that is mold resistant and can be cleaned with a hose. With new siding, you can also transform the entire look of your home with a variety of colors and styles like shingles and plank combination.
4. Skyrocket Bills: No obvious signs of damage to your home exterior? Check for subtler indications of underperformance. If you feel some drafts near walls and windows or around switches or electrical receptacles, chances are that additional insulation and siding would make a huge difference in eliminating drafts and saving you money on heating and cooling costs.
5. Hidden Hazards: It is worth taking 10 minutes and really give your siding a good inspection. Identify any areas where your siding no longer lays flat as bulging or warped siding can be the tip of the iceberg of hidden hazards Do not hesitate to consult a pro on a needs analysis of your home. As siding installation specialists, we can diagnose specific problems and best advise you on your next steps.
6. Moisture and Mold: This is the biggest culprit we’re finding in homes from the 80s, 90s, and earlier. Especially if you are finding mold and moisture build up on the interior of your home, be sure to look at the exterior as a source. If damaged siding is the problem, be sure to contact our specialists as soon as possible. Mold is something you do not want to mess with, especially if you have young children or elderly family members living with you. We want you to be safe and would rather you go on the side of caution even if it ends up being a minor problem and quick fix.
7. Higher Resale Value: If you are planning to move, James Hardie Fiber cement Siding is the #1 return on investment of ANY remodeling project 14 years in a row from Remodeling magazine’s Cost vs. Value Report. Although the price-tag may seem a little on the high side, PBS has many financing options (with no pre-payment penalties), and has a transferable 30 year warranty. Not to mention, homeowners recoup the majority of the costs upon resale.
Now is an ideal time to get on the schedule and invest in your exterior project by contacting us at Professional Building Services at 603-898-2977. Our team of experts will be there for you every step of the way, from designing to putting the final fastener in your trim. You can be assured that our crew will go above and beyond to give you the home of your dreams. We look forward to working with you!